Thursday, January 8, 2015

From Stardust

Stacey Sargent. 
Read January 7. 

One day. That's how long it took me to read From Stardust. Yesterday was my second time reading it, but it felt like the first time. The first time I read it, I stayed up until 1AM to finish it. (Great books must like to be finished at 1AM). 

Stacey does a wonderful job drawing the readers in and keeping them there. She gives you enough information that you think you're in the loop, but holds enough back to surprise you. She makes you feel for Scout, the main character, from the first page, and keeps the emotions flowing. The first tear slipped down my cheek during chapter ten, when Scout and her dad were talking about the day he met her mom. But if you think that means this is just a flimsy read for shark week, you're wrong. There were times (a lot of times) I held my breath. It is full of action and wonder. You'll forget it all takes place in a day. It also makes you think. It was written to use in a 7th grade classroom (innocence-also a plus) but has enough substance to keep the attention of adults as well. 

My favorite quote is :
           "You need you," Gil said, putting emphasis on the last word. "You are everything you need to be, and you'll be fine. You'll be great because...because you're you, and you're everything."

A beautiful story. One that I'll read again, and I recommend you do the same. 


From Stardust: An Elementum Novel by Stacey Sargent http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O08L9BM/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_oDRRub12E3K6Y

No comments:

Post a Comment