Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Stephen Chbosky

June's voted selection for sept mom book club. 
I was turned off by how "simple" the main character was. He had a nice personality but was such a pushover. 
How did he make it all the way to high school and never even hear of masturbation? I found out about that when I got my first period. My mom gave me the what's happening to my body book for girls. I asked my husband, who said he learned about it about 6th grade. 
And he didn't know that girl was being raped? What? Why didn't he say anything. It makes more sense at the end when you find out that he went through a traumatic experience, but through the whole book I was pissed off at him for not sticking up for that girl. 
My sister read it in two hours and said "they made him sound so stupid in the book. He was really normal in the movie."

The famous line "we accept the love we think we deserve" is very thought provoking and I love it. 

Overall I could take it or leave it. Ot didn't do much for me and I wouldn't read it again. But then, I didn't go to public high school (I homeschooled through high school to complete a year sooner) and I never did drugs even though I had a friend who tried to offer it to me on several occasions- so maybe I just don't understand. A lot of people really like this book, but it wasn't for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment