Friday, October 10, 2014

Upstream

Upstream. Melissa Lion. 
Read in August. 

Upstream is a short work of fiction about a girl with a secret, from Alaska. Her name is Marty. The story is about her learning to live with heartbreak. Her boyfriend, Steven, is no longer in the picture; and she breaks into his old house to sleep in his old room several times before the house is sold. Marty is not a relatable character for me because I've never experienced heartbreak with a secret, but she was very likeable. She truly cared about her family and her boss. Marty struggles with the decision to go to college and escape the pain, or stay and be close to her mom and sisters. Upstream is a well written book. It's engaging and thought-provoking. I felt like I could be friends with Marty, but it wasn't quit there. The other characters were also likeable. Her sister Dottie with her fun spirit, and her boss Katherine who is an understanding friend as well. I enjoyed reading Upstream. My favorite part is when Marty finally explains what happened to Steven. Everything makes sense, all the secrecy and sadness. A friend of mine hesitantly recommended this to me. She holds it close to her heart and was afraid I wouldn't like it. I do like it, but I don't think I can honestly recommend it. For me, it was too forgettable. 


Upstream https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375839542/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qjzoub04DTWB5

No comments:

Post a Comment