Thursday, December 4, 2014

Wonder.

R.J. Palacio. 
Read in November. 

Thank you, Bonnie, for sharing this book discussion with me! I'm very honored to be "hanging" with you. 
I'm so glad this was chosen as one of Bon's Book Club books. When I first heard about Wonder, I knew I wanted to read it. My coworker had to read it for school, and recommended it. That was over a year ago. I'd been meaning to read it, but didn't have time with the other books I was reading for book clubs and my own stack I had personally chosen. Or so I thought. It took me two days to read Wonder. The chapters are short, the print isn't tiny, and it gets you sucked in from the beginning instead of taking a while to build up the characters like most books do. I loved the simpleness of it and how it tugged my emotions. I really felt like I was hanging out with some kids who were telling me their story. One of my favorite parts was when August's sister's boyfriend stood up for August's friend, Jack, when a couple of boys teased him for being friends with a "deformed freak". Wonder is a great book, for children and adults, about what it's like to be a child and a friend, how how hard it is to be teased and judged based on your appearance, and sticking up for others. This kid, Auggie, made me laugh and cry. He reminded me to look past the appearance and into the person, and to be hopeful that others will do the same for me.  
My children will read Wonder when they're a bit older. I bought it for the book exchange my family does among the kids for Christmas, Ty is in 6th grade. I've recommended it to other mothers and single women. A story that reminds us to be caring is one everyone should read. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0375869026/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1417557384&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

No comments:

Post a Comment